Thursday, April 5, 2007

Queen Boudicca – Part 1 The Rape of the Iceni

(Ok a note of historical interest…Queen Boudicca’s daughters were younger than 18 when this even occurred, but for the purposes of modern day revision I will state that they are 18 and 20…hope that’s ok for everyone!)

It was early morning, the early morning mist was still swirling around the town, but Boudicca was up. Queen for only a short while and already the cursed Romans were pushing our people, testing my resolve.

Those Romans and their money…they had called in debts we have no hope of paying. And now this…I looked over at the rider who had bounded into the settlement.
“So, how many soldiers did you see Beven?”
“Your Majesty, our entire village was butchered. Our women…my wife…taken”
I placed my hand on the older mans shoulder as he sobbed and turned back to the meeting house. I walked inside and seeing only Cadeyrn, sat beside him quietly.
“They’re coming.” I said. I looked at Cadeyrn; this old man had been advisor to the King, my father, before I was even born. He had seen so much.
“So I heard. You must flee your Majesty, take your daughters and go up to Licoyln. Let the Romans stomp about and shout orders for a while, then you can return and we can discuss what needs to be done”
I saw logic in his argument, undeniably true logic, but I shook my head.
“No…no Cadeyrn, we have surrendered enough, we have turned our heads away from them long enough. We will listen to what they have to say.”

Some time later three dozen Roman horseman came into the camp, another dozen armed mercenaries close behind. Leading the troop was Tiberius Octavia he was looking at me all the time. I walked forward, my four guardsmen close behind as I approached him.
“Tiberius, how nice to see you in Iceni lands again,” I said with some sarcasm.
He smiled that crocodile smile that both scared and made me hot as Hades.
“Boudicca, it is good to see your beauty again.”
One of my guardsmen stepped forward fiercely at the Romans audacity.
“How DARE you speak to our Queen that way…” he bellowed at the shorter Roman.
Smiling a small smile I waved him down.
“Let us hear what he has to say before we send them back to Londinium”
“My apologies, your majesty,” he said with thicker sarcasm than I could ever muster, “I cannot say I’m here today for a pleasant chit chat. It has been decided that you have defaulted on your loans and I have been granted leave by the Governor to collect on your debts.”
I stared at him, his face twisted into a smile of triumph, knowing that we could not possibly pay all that Rome demanded of us. Stepping close to him, until I could feel his foul breath upon my cold face.
“You are a strange people, you Romans. You praise loyalty and oaths so highly, yet when it suits, you dismiss those very same principles so easily. My father pledged his support and loyalty to Rome on the basis of our peace. You come here today, demanding of us things you have no right to and you break Rome’s oath with this nation. Think carefully before you act Tiberius. You and I…I remember playing with you when your father and mine spent two weeks in debate. Don’t do this. As Queen of the Iceni I pledge that all debts and oaths will be honoured. But…as Queen…I wish you to understand that I will not allow our people to be robbed, our lands pillaged and stolen or our women raped. You will leave this place immediately and you will communicate my words…”

I didn’t finish my sentence. Tiberius hit me hard in the face with his gloved fist. For a moment I was too stunned by pain and shock to realise what was happening around me. When I got up on my knees, I was aware of my four guardsmen down, writhing on the ground with arrows in them. And screams. Shouts of swearing men and horses hooves beating the ground. Tiberius shouting orders.
“Get the whores daughters; bring them out here…NOW…if you touch them I will have you cut apart”
Staggering to my feet as I reach for the short dagger given to my father by the first Roman Governor of Britain. Tiberius grinning at me…smiling into my pained face. I think he broke my nose, yes I can feel blood in my mouth. I don’t think he sees the dagger.
“Boudicca, I know this is hard, but you know Roman law doesn’t cover the women…Urghhh”
It was his turn to be interrupted. I had plunged the dagger into his stomach. Upto the hilt, feeling his blood spill over my fingers. Smiling back into his face.
“We are a FREE people…and so we shall stay.”
“You…oh…” His eyes still now.
Suddenly a sharp blow to my head and blackness consumes me.

Gasping awake to the splash of water and slap to my face…my eyes spring open and I see the ruin of my village spread out before me. Fires burning out of control and the dead scattering the field between me and the village. It’s only when I try to move that I realise I am tied to a large wooden pole.

A Roman Centurion comes forward and rips my top from me, exposing my body to a cheering collection of soldiers. I hear the wails of despair and anger from behind me; I know that some of my people are alive at least. My daughters…oh god…where are my daughters!
And as answer to my screams, they were pulled in front of me. Their long golden braided hair had been cut from their heads and been shaved bald. I screamed as they were quickly stripped naked. My shy, wonderful daughters exposed to the world. Another huge wail from my people.
“I swear by all those who have suffered at Roman hands that if you harm them I will hunt you all down and skin you alive!” My voice loud and steady…I screamed at the soldiers holding them.

“Whore…you are about to be taught respect. Respect for the power of Rome.”
With that he brought a heavy whip down across my back. At first I bit down on my tongue, drawing blood into my mouth. But soon I could hold back no more, he started to flog me. I could feel my skin splitting and bleeding, ripped by the heavy whip slashing into my back, again and again.
Pausing for a moment, the Centurion held my head up and said…
“Watch this bitch…and remember it well.”
Not more than a few steps away my two beautiful daughters were thrown down into the mud. To the many jeers of the dozen or so soldiers around them, one of the men got between Sophista’s legs and pushed into her. Another took Carrie. I crushed my eyes shut but could not close my mind to the sounds and screams of my daughters being raped.

Their virginity stolen by the same soldiers who had raped their way across our lands. The Centurion behind me laughed and started whipping my back again, ripping into my skin again and again. My eyes flew open and I was again forced to watch my daughter’s brutal rape. Their faces stretched in agony and horror, looking to me, their mother unable to help them.

As soon as one was finished another would take his place…they even used their mouths and other forbidden places. Those disgusting Roman animals have no morals for all their posturing about bringing civilisation…here they were raping the innocent in the mud... I passed out a couple times from the pain of the flogging. Each time I opened my eyes some new atrocity was being inflicted upon my girls. At some point I was aware of someone forcing their thick cock roughly into me and spitting in my face. I saw the Romans laughing as they passed water onto my girls. Soon I could take no more and fell deeply unconscious.

I felt myself being lifted. Some talking and crying...then nothing again.
“Your Majesty…Boudicca…are you awake?”
A voice…who is that?
“Please…oh gods…I think she’s awake,”
“Of course,” I whispered as I smiled, “I should have guessed.”
It was Aedh, someone who had wanted me as husband for years and years. A good friend. But someone I had to keep an eye on.
“MY DAUGHTERS, AEDH, where are they?!”
“They are strong your Majesty, they are their mothers daughters Boudicca and will rise from this outrageous insult, as will you.”
I tried to lift myself from the bed, but my back screamed at me and I was dully aware of the ache between my legs.
“The Romans?” I spat the words out.
“Gone. They took anything of value and went back down the road to Colchester you Majesty.”
I was on my side in bed for three weeks. I convened the high council and sent out news of what had happened to the entire nation and beyond…out to the other sympathetic tribes of the south and east. I was visited by the heir to the throne of the Canti people. His voice cracked with anger, his face white with a hot fire of fierceness.
“Your Majesty, this is an outrage that cannot be left unanswered…if we blindly turn aside and allow the Romans to insult us like this…well…what of our traditions…our rights…we may as well all turn and bind our wrists into slavery.”
“I know, I know…your family our mine have been close for many years before the Romans came here and will be so after they leave. I believe we have a chance to strike back.”
I enjoyed the way he leaned closer to me in hunger to hear my words.
Over the next month I began to send out requests, demands and commands. Too often though I would get the same kind of reply I got from the King of Northumbria.
“My King is appalled and disgusted at the news brought to him of your misfortune and will join you in any campaign to punish those responsible. He regrets though that until a campaign can be seen to be sustainable, he cannot put at risk his own people”
“In other words…you first…” One of my advisors said
“Yes…I think we may stand alone until we can prove ourselves in battle.” I said.
“Do any of you here now believe we will NOT prove ourselves?”
A silence met that.
“Ok…Colchester took our peoples goods…those Romans will be the first to feel our revenge.”


Part 2 – Boudicca’s Revenge (lots more pillaging, raping and hell-raising…now there’s a female role model I can get on board with!)


Queen Boudicca and her daughters had been raped. She had been flogged in front of her own people. Humiliated and degraded by the Roman bastards. Hundreds of her people murdered and their property stolen.

Well, now the time for our revenge is at hand....

*sighs and starts posting her stories again*

**************************
Adapted From Rape Board
********************************

No comments: